What is Meal Prepping?
Do you want to learn how to become a meal prep pro? This guide will take you step by step through a process that will take you from newbie to a Meal prep master! For a list of tips and great resources for everyone check it out below!
Do you find you have been eating out too much lately or not being mindful of the foods that you’re putting into your body? Well good news, meal prep is going to be your new best friend.
Meal prepping is simply a way of preparing your food in advance. Whether that be for 3 days or for a couple weeks. You may be cutting up fruits or veggies, or planning meals to freeze.
Life can be insane, trying to juggle work, kids, school, it is so easy to give the food we put in our bodies on the back burner. With a few habits, however, you can achieve all your healthy eating goals by the power of planning. This is where meal prepping comes in. Trust me It will save you on those days that you are too short on time or let’s face it sometimes just too lazy to have to spend hours in the kitchen cooking.
Who is meal prepping for?
Honestly, I believe that everybody could benefit from some sort of meal prepping. Whether you are a mom who doesn’t have time to make a fancy dinner every school night but still want your family to eat well. You may be someone who has fitness goals you want to achieve and want to be able to succeed by saving time in the kitchen and have more time getting other things checked off your to-do list. Or you may be a college student wanting to save money on food. Whatever season of life you’re in I strongly believe meal prepping can be beneficial to everyone!
Why Meal Prep
- Save Money When I was in College I cannot stress enough how much money meal prepping saved me. Spending less money on eating out not only saved me many calories but extra dollars. And who doesn’t love having more money to spend on I don’t know a new pair of tights for the gym.
- Save Time Trust me on this one. Time is money, right? Think of the million other things that you could be doing instead of spending hour after hour preparing food every single night. I think a lot of people believe that preparing food in advance can be mundane and boring but it doesn’t have to be. Meal prepping can take anywhere from 1-2 hours one day a week which will set you up for success and save you so much time during the week.
- Keep you on track C’mon we have all been there. We sometimes fall off the healthy eating bandwagon and its okay life happens. The beautiful thing about meal prepping is that you don’t have an excuse not to eat healthy because it’s already planned and prepared ready to go for the week ahead. Sneaky right;)
Top Meal Prep Essentials
- Glass Meal prep Containers
- Slow cooker
- Rice cooker
- Ziploc storage bags
- My favorite marble lunch bag
Step by Step guide
If you’re new to meal prepping I highly encourage you to start small. Ask yourself what is the busiest time of day for you and which meal you would love to have prepped in advance to ensure you have more time. Maybe it’s overnight oatmeal so you can grab and go in the morning or maybe its dinners that you just can’t seem to squeeze in on time. Whatever it may be I recommend starting with one meal a week to plan.
Make time to plan out your meals
The key to becoming successful at meal planning is to pick a time to plan out your meals. Choose one day a week where you’ll sit down, grab a calendar and start jotting down ideas for meals that you would enjoy preparing for the week ahead. Simply put them on your calendar that way you’re prepared for the weeks to come.
Create Your Grocery List
Once you have scheduled out the meals you want to have for the week start planning out the groceries you will need. Feel free to use this Free Grocery List Printable and make it easy for yourself. Have you ever gone to the grocery store with absolutely no idea of what you’re looking for or what you’ll need? Then you end up walking out with everything but the kitchen sink? Been there and trust me a grocery list will save your life.
Meal Prep Cooking and Preparing
- Get out all of your Rubbermaid containers as well as Ziploc bags that you need and align them so they are ready for all your food
- First start with the foods that need to bake in the oven, this way you can multi-task and get onto other foods while you’re waiting
- If you have any meat to prepare I suggest doing that next as meat takes a little longer to prepare and cool down
- Next are any veggies or fruits you need to cut up into individual pieces
- You may want to put any snacks such as homemade trail mix, or fruits in separate Ziploc bags ready for snacking
- Finally once all of your food is cooled, place it into the Rubbermaid containers and put it into the fridge so they are ready for the days ahead!
Final Tips on Meal Prepping for Success
Remember that the key to meal prepping for success is planning. So choose a day that you can sit down and plan out the meals you want to make for the week ahead.
Don’t forget to write out a grocery list for all the ingredients that you will need for the meals you plan on making
Finally, choose a time during the week you will actually make the meals. Planning is essential for being successful with prepping your food in advance.
Well, you did it! You will be a meal prep pro in no time! If you need an idea for your first meal to prep check out these simple and delicious meals that only take around 1-2 hours to prepare!
Let me know if you have any other tips in the comments below! Happy Prepping!